Each year beginning in mid-December adult female Harbor seals return to the Casa Beach rookery to prepare for the births of their pups. Pups are usually born in February and March. This year several early births occurred.
1. December 9, 2014 – G.T.
2. December 12, 2014 – Sugar Plum
3. December 24, 2014 – Christmas Joy was named by a couple visiting from Sweden.
4. January 7, 2015 – Stella Rose
5. January 17, 2015 – Precious was named by a couple who were visiting from Saudi Arabia.
6. January 21, 2015 – Seastar was abandoned by his mother and was later rescued by SeaWorld Marine Mammal Rescue.
7. January 22, 2015 – Ocean Blue was named by Lisa in memory of her beloved cat.
8. January 27, 2015 – Sauvage was named by Jane to honor her beloved cat.
9. January 30, 2015 – Echo was so named because the new pup’s voice seemed to echo off the rocks.
10. February 5, 2015 – Bella was abandoned by her mother and subsequently saved by SeaWorld Marine Mammal Rescue on February 6th.
11. February 6, 2015 – Bella 2 was abandoned by her mother and died the next day.
12. February 7, 2015 – Snowflake was an early morning birth who was named by 7 year old Jolie of San Diego, the Grand Prize winner of the Seal Conservancy’s 2015 Children’s Coloring Contest.
13. February 8, 2015 – Baby was born about 10:45 a.m. and was named by 4-year old D’Nalicia from San Diego.
14. February 8, 2015 – Adam’s birth occurred at about 4:00p.m. The pup was named by local youngster Anthony, after his best friend, Adam.
15. February 11, 2015 – Unnamed stillbirth.
16. February 11, 2015 – Dora was named by Cora, who named her in honor of the children’s TV character, Dora the Explorer.
17. February 12, 2015 – Lora was named by Cora’s sister, Magnolia. Cora and Magnolia and their family were visiting the beach from Los Angeles.
18. February 14, 2015 – Cupid was born about 7:00 a.m. on Valentines’ Day.
19. February 15, 2015 – Little Pupkin was an afternoon water birth.
20. February 15, 2015 – The birth of Rascal was witnessed by many applauding visitors.
21. February 19, 2015 – Paul was named by a child who was visiting the beach and asked to have a seal named after him. Welcome Paul!
22. February 20, 2015 – Visitors from Phoenix witnessed the late morning birth of this hungry pup and named him Lee.
23. February 21, 2015 – Ranger was born in the early morning hours just after sunrise.
24. February 21, 2015 – The afternoon brought the water birth of a small pup named Puddles.
25. February 21, 2015 – Seagulls were the first to notice yet another water birth late in the afternoon. The pup was named Casper because she seemed to quickly disappear in the water.
26. February 22, 2015 – The birth of Scooter was witnessed by dozens of visitors at about 1:30 on Sunday afternoon. Angie and Sheri, who were here on vacation, chose this name because of the way he scooted around the beach.
- February 24, 2015 – Empress Ellie was a big pup born about 2:00 p.m.
- February 25, 2015 – Early in the morning Sparkle was born and so named because of how his wet coat seems to sparkle in the sun.
29. February 25, 2015 – Swift Born was indeed born quickly at about 2:30 in the afternoon.
30. February 25, 2015 – A pup named Joy was born at 4:15 this afternoon.
31. February 25, 2015 – 45 minutes later, another pup, Aisha (an Arabic name meaning “alive and well”) burst on the scene.
32. February 26, 2015 – Marley was named by a young visitor, Kurt, from Laguna Beach. Kurt was spending his birthday with the seals and named this pup as he watched its birth! Happy Birthday Kurt & Marley!
33. February 26, 2015 – Hungry little Luna made her entrance in to the world.
34. February 27, 2015 – Reef was born today.
35. February 28, 2015 – Ava is a Hebrew name that means “life or living one.” This peaceful pup was born early in the morning on Casa Beach.
36. March 1, 2015 – Although today was a rainy day, Lori named this newborn pup Sunshine. You can see the video of Sunshine’s birth on our home page.
37. March 2, 2015 – This gray pup was named Fuzzy Bandit by a boy named Daniel who was visiting from Canada.
38. March 3, 2015 – A new pup, Cloud, was born today.
39. March 4, 2015 – There was evidence on the beach of a morning birth but no one saw it, birth #39 of the 2015 pupping season.
40. March 6, 2015 – Adorable Boomer stayed close to her mom.
41. March 7, 2015 – Buck Stone was welcomed into the rookery at Casa Beach. He was named by a visitor after a comic book character he created.
42. March 7, 2015 – A stillbirth occurred about 4:40 p.m.
43. March 7, 2015 – Trixie, which means “Voyager”, was born just after 5:00 p.m. We hope Trixie has an amazing voyage through life.
44. March 8, 2015 – This playful pup was named after the capital city of Delaware in honor of visitors from that state. At one week old Dover is having fun with his mom.
45. March 10, 2015 – Each year for the past 4 or 5 years, Lola Lollipop has returned to the rookery to give birth to her pup. She was spotted on Tuesday with her new pup, Candy.
46. March 11, 2015 – Miracle was born today, but may have been abandoned by his mother.
47. March 12, 2015 – Kobi was born today.
48. March 14, 2015 – Sometimes no one is around to witness the birth of a pup. That is what happened with this birth. There was evidence of an early morning birth on Casa Beach. No picture was taken, but the pup was named Sunny.
49. March 16, 2015 – Recognizable by an old fishing net scar that reopens as she gains weight from pregnancies, Satin Doll is a beloved harbor seal, renowned for her bravery and determination, who has been returning to Casa Beach to give birth since at least 2002. Last year she gave birth to a pup named Jelly Bean and today Satin Doll was seen with her newborn son, Timmy Bean.
And so we come to the end of the 2015 birthing season at the Casa Beach rookery….the pups are getting big, and April brings mating season, so the 2015 pups will soon be on their own as their mothers begin a new journey with a new pup. Good luck to all!