City Council Approves Seal Appeal!
On Tuesday, June 14, 2016 in closed session, the San Diego City Council voted 7-1 to appeal the Orange County Judge’s ruling of May 3, 2016 which struck down the annual Seal Pupping Season beach closure from December 15th through May 15th at Casa Beach.
The case now goes to the California State Court of Appeals, where lawyers from the San Diego City Attorney’s office and the California Coastal Commission will take the lead on the appeal.
Your letters and emails to the City Council were extremely helpful and did not go unnoticed by the City Councilmembers. Dozens of you also came to City Hall on June 14 to show your support for the appeal in person. The impact of your presence cannot be understated. You made all the difference!
As you know, the pupping season beach closure was approved by San Diego’s Planning Commission, City Council, Mayor, and the California Coastal Commission. During the two years of its operation, this elegant compromise brought peace and stability to the beach for the Seals while also reducing calls to the San Diego Police Department by 87.5%. The beach was closed for five months for the Seals, and open for the other seven months for beach access during the busy summer season — a win-win for all.
We are now hopeful that justice will be served and that this horrible ruling which struck down the annual winter beach closure will be overturned by the State Court of Appeals. This outcome would allow the protections to continue for the Seals during their pupping season, when they need them the most. We thank all of you for your steadfast support of the harbor seals of Casa Beach.
Share the shore with seals!
Want to hear what a seal pup sounds like? Please click the picture below.
Help us by making a tax-deductible donation of $10, $100, $1,000 or more.
Each dollar brings us closer to our goal of protecting the Casa Beach harbor seal rookery. THANKS!
or mail a check to:
PO Box 2016
La Jolla, CA 92038
All donations are tax deductible per IRS regulation 501(c)(3)
What is the Seal Conservancy ?
- A non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation founded in 1999 to protect the harbor seal rookery at Casa Beach, 850 Coast Blvd, La Jolla, California
- The only local organization exclusively dedicated to educating the public about seals and to advocating for enforcement of laws to protect the seals
- Consists of a Board of Directors, and supporting contributors
- The Seal Conservancy is the spokesperson for the seals in the media, in courtrooms, and in public debates
- The Seal Conservancy does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.
The mission of the Seal Conservancy is to preserve and protect the La Jolla harbor seal rookery for ecological, educational, scientific, historic, and scenic opportunities.