1. January 26, 2010 A plump, healthy black pup with white markings was born on Tuesday, about 6 am. The mother, scared and confused, went into the water, leaving the pup to fend for itself for a long time. The mother never returned to the side of the newborn, and after a 24 hour wait, SeaWorld Marine Mammal Rescue rescued the pup and took it to their rehab facility.
2. January 29, 2010 Born 3:00pm. Short delay in pulling off the placental sac held us in suspense, but mom, the gulls and the pup managed to pull it off. Pup was named Moonshine and went swimming an hour later. Small for size with a dark speckled fur, but looks active and mom is doing a splendid job.
3. February 2, 2010 Another pup was born and named Donna in honor of in City Councilmember Donna Frye. Pup is long-bodied but not chunky yet and light in color but dark on top with noticeable vertical wrinkles still on its body.
4. February 10, 2010 At dusk a very small female pup was born and named Sandy.
5. February 11, 2010 Holly was born very late at night. She’s light with muted spots and a white belly especially when dry. The pup is strong and plump and her mom is “Thistle” who is recognizable by the yellowish tone around her eyes.
6. February 11, 2010 Sea Star was born early in the afternoon. Pup is light in color and strong and “chunky”. Her mom has been named “Autumn.” Shortly after Sea Star’s birth, we had very high tides and rough surf, and Autumn wasn’t able to find her pup and kept going around sniffing at other pups. As it turned out, Sea Star had ended up on South Casa Beach and didn’t make it back to her “home” in the rookery until the 14th. She was searching and crying for her mom and going up to other seals trying to find her. Although Autumn found her pup, she didn’t seem to be able to recognize her. Most likely they hadn’t had adequate time to bond which is how they identify each other by scent. SeaWorld Marine Mammal Rescue has come several times in an attempt to rescue Sea Star, but hasn’t yet found an opportune moment. Please check back for an update and let’s hope for the best!!
7. February 16, 2010 Pup was born overnight and named Ranger.
8. February 16, 2010 Pup was born in the early morning and named Tumbleweed.
9. February 18, 2010 Pup was born in the middle of the night and named June Bug. She is light gray and silver.
10. February 18, 2010 Pup was born at 5:00am and named Stardust.
11. February 18, 2010 Pup was born at 1:45pm and named BIG Jewel.
12. February 20, 2010 Pup was born at night and named Ony. She is silver and white.
13. February 21, 2010 Pup was born at night and named Midnight. She is dark black.
14. February 22, 2010 Pup was born at 6:00am and named Dusty. He is dark.
15. February 22, 2010 Pup was born at dark and named MJ. She is black.
16. February 22, 2010 Pup was born at dark and named Georgie. He is brown.
17. February 23, 2010 Pup was born at 12:00am. grey. He was named Carlos.
18. February 22, 2010 Pup was born at dawn and named Lily.
19. February 25, 2010 Pup was born early am and named Ozzie. He is black with spots.
20. February 25, 2010 Pup was born at 6:55am and named Stormy. She is black and big.
21. February 27, 2010 Pup was born at 5:15am and named Drew. He is light grey.
22. February 27, 2010 Pup was born at 6:58am and named Dr. Seuss. He is silver and small.
23. February 27, 2010 Born 9:00am, dark grey and named Sharon.
24. February 28, 2010 Born 3:29pm, grey w/silver. Named Roxie.
25. February 29, 2010 Born 12:15am. Named Morning Dew.
26. March 1, 2010 Born 10:00pm, silver. Named Shatila.
27. March 1, 2010 Born 10:45pm, light. Named Snokie.
28. March 2, 2010 Unnamed was born 11:45pm
29. March 2, 2010 Born 1:57pm, dark brown. Named Mona by a honeymooning couple.
30. March 4, 2010 Born early am. Named Honesty.
31. March 5, 2010 Born overnight, dark. Named Twilight.
32. March 5, 2010 A pup was born mid-day, did not make it.
33. March 7, 2010 Grey/silver. Named Angela.
34. March 7, 2010 Born overnight, dark. Named Pearson.
35. March 8, 2010 Born early am, light. Named Pudding Pie.
36. March 11, 2010 Born overnight, black. Named Aphrodite.
37. March 16, 2010 Born 4:50pm, silver. Named Faith.
38. March 16, 2010 Born 6:50pm, darn brown. Named Tony.
39. March 16, 2010 Born 7:15pm, silver, small. Named Liz.
40. March 17, 2010 Born 6:30pm, dark black. Names Marti after City Councilmember Marti Emerald.
41. March 21, 2010 Born 12:40pm, dark black. Named Hughes.
42. March 26, 2020 Born 7:30pm, gray. Named Dulce Noche.
43. March 29, 2010 Born overnight. Named Dulce Suenos.
44. April 1, 2010 Silver. Named Besame.
2010 Birthing Season Premature Births
1. October 17, 2009 Female miscarried. It’s extremely unusual for this to happen as early as October.
2. November 20, 2009 Female miscarried. Pups born this early seldom survive as their internal organs aren’t fully developed.
3. December 16, 2009 A premature pup was born and did not survive.
4. December 16, 2009 Another report of a premature pup birth that did not survive.
5. December 23, 2009 Premature pup lived several hours, but did not survive.