54. March 24, 2014 – A cream-colored pup with the cutest black face was born in the morning on Casa Beach. The pup has lots of fur. She was named Josie by two ladies visiting the beach from Minneapolis. The ladies and Josie are enjoying the beautiful San Diego weather!
53. March 22, 2014 – After many days, another pup was born at the rookery. She is a beautiful silver and black spotted pup named Sugar Plum.
52. March 15, 2014 – A small, black, abandoned pup has been seen on Casa Beach. Scamp has been observed daily stealing milk from sleeping mother seals. While mother seals are not known to surrogate other pups, Scamp has become quite proficient at moving in quickly, getting some nourishment and moving on to another nursing mother. He is quite a survivor! Every effort has been made to rescue Scamp, but thusfar he has not been in a position to be rescued as the safety and bonding of the other seals can not be jeopardized. We will continue to monitor the situation and hope that we can get help for him soon.
51. March 13, 2014 – A cute, little, black pup has joined the Casa colony. She has been named Myrtle in honor of councilwoman Myrtle Cole who supported the seasonal beach closure. We are all thankful for her support! Welcome Myrtle!
50. March 12, 2014 – A tiny black pup was born late in the afternoon on Casa Beach. The new pup was named Mira.
49. March 9, 2014 – Rumi is a white pup with a dark patch of fur on the top of his head. He was named after a 13th-century Persian poet.
48. March 9, 2014 – At 4:00 pm at the water’s edge a little black pup, Cody, was born. Just look at the pup’s size compared to the nearby seagull!
47. March 9, 2014 – Spots was named by Sophie, who was visiting the beach with her mom and learning all about the harbor seals when this pup was born.
46. March 9, 2014 – Returning to Casa Beach every year since 2002 a mother seal, Satin Doll, gave birth to Jelly Bean.
45. March 7, 2014 – The seal with the “lollipop” eye, aka Lola Lollipop, returned to the beach again this year to give birth to another pup, Kimmie. The pup is white with lots of black spots.
Note: Oliver Twist’s mom returned (see #41 below) to the beach in the afternoon. It was a happy reunion of mom and pup!
44. March 6, 2014 – A silver mom gave birth to a silver pup on Casa Beach. The pup was named Prince because he looks regal.
43. March 6, 2014 – There was a stillbirth today. The pup was named Tenshi which means angel in Japanese. The mom remained close by until the sea took him home.
42. March 6, 2014 – Huckleberry Finn arrived in the morning. He was born under the rock overhang and soon after birth, his mom brought him over to pose for this close-up picture.
41. March 5, 2014 – An abandoned newborn pup was spotted near the sea wall. If his mom doesn’t return tomorrow, a rescue attempt will be made. He’s alert and smart – finding shelter from the seagulls under the ledge of the sea wall. He’s been named Oliver Twist. Good luck little guy!
40. March 5, 2014 – Essy (short for Esmeralda) was born in the morning way up by the fence.
39. March 4, 2014 – Adorable little Payton was born late in the afternoon. He has spiked fur and seems to enjoy hanging out close to the stairs with his mom. Visitors can’t help but ohhh and ahhh over the cuteness of this little guy.
38. March 4, 2014 – Bubbles, with her lovely dark coat, was born in the early afternoon.
37. March 3, 2014 – Marti was our second miracle of the day. With a beautiful white fur coat and knowing eyes like her mom, she was named for District 9 San Diego City Councilwoman Marti Emerald, who has been a true friend of the seals since her first day as a member of the City Council.
36. March 3, 2014 – “The pup with two moms” was named Cannon Ball. Right from birth two mother seals fought for ownership of the newborn. The confused little pup has been seen nursing from both mother seals. The thought is that perhaps one of the moms must have lost her pup. The moms don’t seem to want to share, but Cannon Ball is getting lots of milk and double the love.
35. March 1, 2014 – Usually pups are born on the beach, but sometimes the mom gives birth in the water. So it was with Effy who was born on a rainy day in the water of Casa Beach. The little black pup followed her mom right out of the ocean.
34. March 1, 2014 – At 10:00 am on Casa Beach a little black seal, Dakota, was born. The name Dakota means “friend”.
33. February 28, 2014 – In the middle of the cold, windy, rainy weather, Eva Pie was born. Eva Pie started to nurse even before her mom had delivered the afterbirth. She’s sure to be gaining weight quickly!
32. February 28, 2014 – Angelica was a stillborn birth. Her mom watched over her until the tide came in and her pup was returned to the sea.
31. February 27, 2014 – With stormy weather approaching, Stormy was born on Casa Beach.
30. February 27, 2014 – Big baby Thunder came into the world on Casa Beach.
29. February 27, 2014 – Angel was a stillborn. Her mom carefully watched over her for hours until a wave came and took the angel out to sea. RIP Angel.
28. February 25, 2014 – Emerald was born right in the center of the Beach. She was the first seal born after the City Council voted to approve seasonal closure of Casa Beach (during the pupping season months) starting in December, 2014. Her name is in honor of Councilwoman Marti Emerald who supported the seasonal closure of Casa Beach. Welcome Emerald!
27. February 24, 2014 – Hope was born in the early morning.
26. February 24, 2014 – Ebony was an early morning birth on Casa Beach.
25. February 23, 2014 – There was a birth at the water’s edge early Sunday morning. The new little one was named Ginger.
24. February 23, 2014 – Kiki was born, accompanied by a watchful mom.
23. February 23, 2014 – Welcome Kishka which means “bear”. Kishka was named by onlooker, Julie. The mother is a dark gray as is her pup.
22. February 22, 2014 – A gray mottled pup born at about 4 pm has been named Loie.
21. February 22, 2014 – A mother seen with a severe open-wound shark bite last September gave birth to Dawn at Casa Beach. The mom, Suzie Q, is now healed and knows how tough it can be living in the wild ocean. She has been seen staving off all who entered her domain and aggressively protecting her pup. Maybe there is shark blood in her veins!
20. February 22, 2014 – Seals have site fidelity, meaning they often return to their place of birth to give birth to their pups. So it was with mother seal, Honey Bell, who gave birth to her little pup by the stairs on Casa Beach. The pup was named Serenity Pie.
19. February 22, 2014 – Gilligan arrived looking much like a spotted Dalmation.
18. February 19, 2014 – Born under a bright February moon, Moonlight joined the Casa Beach colony.
17. February 21, 2014 – Liberty was born today. He is a dark chocolate pup with a dark black mom.
16. February 20, 2014 – Sunshine was born today. In this photo, she has already nursed and is ready for a nap.
15. February 20, 2014 – Tiger was born; he is light tan with dark speckles.
14. February 20, 2014 – The nursery was busy today with our 14th pup – and third of the day – Cheri is dark gray.
13. February 20, 2014 – Beautiful newborn Pearl was our second pup born today. She’s a light gray with darker spots.
12. February 20, 2014 – Carter was born in the early morning hours. His mother is medium brown with whitish ringlets.
11. February 18, 2014 – Willow was born today at 3:15 pm on Casa Beach right near the rope.
10. February 18, 2014 – Please welcome our newest little one, Naya. She looks like she still has some of the baby hair, lanugo, which is very light gray and should rub off soon. Just like Kaipo but Naya’s mom is really silver & Kaipo’s mom looks like lovely chocolate. Only half a day old, she hitched a ride on her mom’s back.
9. February 16, 2014 – Tilly was our second birth of the day.
8. February 16, 2014 – Azalea was born with one of the longest umbilical cords ever seen and soon got the attention of the attending seagulls who injest as much of the afterbirth as they can. She learned to flip the birds off on her first day. She is unusually well developed and active.
7. February 14, 2014 – A day of Love for sure, so number 7 is named Love.
6. February 13, 2014 – Our new addition, Valentine was first noted on the far outer reefs resting by her mom.
5. February 13, 2014 – Kaipo which means “sweetheart” in Hawaiian, made her entrance today. Umbilical cord dragging, she followed Mom into the water for a first bath.
4. February 11, 2014 – Kai, Hawaiian for “the sea” was born sometime Tuesday morning. He seems to like swimming more than eating as he and his mom spent a lot of time in the water and not much time nursing on the beach.
3. February 5, 2014 – Gidget’s birth was also not observed but she seen early in the following morning swimming with her mother. Her coloring is a very distinctive creamy white shade. Mother is also attentive and the two are always seen together.
2. February 4, 2014 – Our first known viable pup of the season, Benny Jett was seen early in the morning. He is very dark and has a very attentive and capable mother who was seen protecting him as he made is way out of the water onto land to nurse. He was also seen catching a ride on his mothers back.
1. January 31, 2014 – Miracle disappeared soon after his birth today….Godspeed little one.